Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Wore: She Wore Black Velvet

When I was a little girl, I always wanted a red velvet dress with a big puffy white bottom to wear for the holidays.  Mom, of course, always nixed the idea because we had cats and dogs and the upkeep for velvet clothing was a bugger.

Source
There have been a number of times in my adult years where I have talked myself out velvety goodness because 1) they'd be too warm, 2) I have cats, 3) the exceeded a price my frugal nature was comfortable with.

Then, one day in my online window shopping travels, I came across a black velvet dress that was in my size, had short sleeves, AND was on super sale.  It took me a few months to get up the courage to wear it after I got it because I was scared of attracting lint plus I had no idea how warm it might actually be.

Oh, no!!! I lost an arm!!!
Dress: Hot Topic online
Leggings: New Look

It's not the most flattering cut on me and doesn't drape as well as other fabrics I wear but I still felt decadent.  :)  I was also worried that the back would be too revealing but it worked out okay.  I just had to make sure my bra straps were pushed down my shoulders slightly.

Oh, the scandal of bare back skin! ;-)

I didn't know when I ordered the dress, though, that it had a wonderful subtle design!


One of the reasons I decided to buck up and wear the dress is because I got a new pair of shoes from Hot Chocolate Design that also have a velvety finish.

You can really see the way my feet curve in this pic!

I really had to think hard about these shoes.  I love the overall design and the silhouette on the left shoe.  And bow makes my inner 3-year-old princess swoon.   But I was worried that the cross would be sacrilegious or offensive to Christians in some way, especially since I am not Christian myself.   I am still a little iffy on that so would love to hear feedback in that regard.  As a Pagan, I don't get offended by non-Pagans wearing pentagrams, etc. based on the design aesthetics so I'd like to think it's the same in the opposite direction?

Anyway, I also decided to dig out one of my retired necklaces to wear with this.  I can't get a good pic of it, unfortunately, because of how shiny it is.

Necklace: Cute and Creepy Inc
Unfortunately, she no longer makes necklaces :(
The image looks like a Victorian death photo that's been doctored to look like a vampire.  I don't wear it very often because the back leaves a big green square on my skin, even after sealing it with clear nail polish, but sometimes it's just worth it. :)


10 comments:

  1. Cute dress, I love the pattern close up. And I don't think a small cross like that should be offensive. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I've worn them several times now and no one has burned me at the stake so I'm getting less apprehensive.

      Delete
  2. I'm atheist and I wear crosses...I haven't had problems...The dress is cool! Great find! Velvet on the sale rack in fall is lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both the dress and the shoes look great! I avoid wearing crosses or other religious symbols but I found a nice coffin backpack that has a cross so I wear that one every day since. Haven't been beaten up by nuns yet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice purchase. Also, what happened to your arm? Did the cats eat it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. :( It was during the Great Cat Famine of 1857. It was a very dark time in history.

      Delete
  5. Ugggh I hate green skin stains!

    I own very little velvet as I live in Australia. Winters are pretty warm here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm not a fan of the green, either. Unfortunately, most of my jewelry is cheap so it happens. LOL

      Delete