Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Wore: Moment of bravery

As I've mentioned previously, I'm trying to get comfortable with wearing prints.  It's not easy for me but I'm trying.  Sometimes they say the best way to get over something is to throw yourself right into the heart of it.  So why not a full body print?

Dress: Torrid
Shrug: I don't remember, I've had it forever
I actually wore this and took pics a few weeks ago so I am still in my pained, sleep-deprived state here but hopefully the pic is too small for anyone else to notice. LOL

I actually really like this dress, probably because I was swathed in skulls all day.  Almost a dream come true!  It's a bit sheer, though, so I had to wear a tank top and shorts under it.  One thing I don't like about is the fact that it has spaghetti straps which are not flattering on girls built like me.

Edit: As I look over this post, I realize this dress is doing my body no favors.  LOL  Is it just me or do I look a lot heavier in this dress than I do in a lot of my other clothing?

But, in a rare moment of bravery, I decided to take a pic that shows my upper arms.  (*gasp*) (*shock*)


I am *VERY* self-conscious of my upper arms because of how they are largely disproportionate to my lower arms.  I mean, I *do* love my grandma wings on my biceps that I may or may not flap in the mirror after each shower but I don't necessarily like showing them off.

Since I was being brave with my arms, I decided this would a good opportunity to show the tattoos I have there as well.

I even reversed the mirror image so they'd be the right way in the pics. :)


This was done by 2 different artists.  The heart and skull in the middle was done by my ex-brother-in-law and was the 40th tattoo he'd ever done.  I had asked him for a skull and heart and he came up with the idea of a tattered patchwork heart because he'd heard about some of the bad things I'd gone through in my life but I still came out a warm, loving person.  Unfortunately, the ink he had was not that great so it faded poorly.  When I got the art supplies tattooed around the heart, the artist (Flaco from All Or Nothing) fixed the color but colored right over some of the shading, etc. without redoing it.  I need to get that touched up at some point.


I helped design this tattoo with an artist at Anchor's End Tattoo in Duluth, MN.  I can't remember his name which makes me sad because I remember the names of all my other artists. :(

I designed the SisteR which is my initial and my sister's initial intertwined.  The colors are our birthstone colors: purple/amethyst for February and green/emerald for May.  The artist came up with the art deco style scroll work then together we decided it also needed the colored dots.  My sister has this same one on her ankle.

Necklace: Wish
I wish I was brave/confident/comfortable enough to walk around in public in tank tops.  I do around the apartment all the time.  I even wear shorts and short dresses with no leggings at home as well.

What are your self-conscious areas and how do you deal with them?

Unrelated selfie from a different day - just because I was feeling cute. :)
Dress: Torrid

18 comments:

  1. I don't know, the dress looks cute to me. I even prefer the shrug-less version because it makes you look younger and shows off your pretty tats. I felt very self-conscious about a scar on my leg I got as a teenager. Last summer (age 28) I went to a beauty clinic to see if they can fix it but they said they can't use anaesthesia on that type of scara and that was a deal breaker for me. So one hot day I put on my knee-length dress, but with sandals instead of creepers with long socks. You know what happened? Absolutely nothing. I don't think anyone even noticed or cared. I still hate the stupid scar, but I don't let it control my life any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I never used to show any skin except my head and hands so I'm getting better. :) I went to pick up Andy from work one weekend this past summer when it was really hot and decided not to change out of my tank top and knee-length shorts. It felt weeeeeird but so much cooler! Maybe next summer I'll my upper arms be more free. :)

      Delete
  2. I've heard stylists say that something only looks bad if you are not comfortable wearing/showing it. I've got terrible back acne, like red scales, and my family wouldn't want to be seen with me unless I covered it, and I looked terrible and awkward if I had my back showing. Now I don't care...a leopard has its spots, a lizard has its scales, I've got my back acne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that, too, about things looking bad because you're not comfortable. How sad that your family wouldn't want to be seen with you, though. :( Good for you embracing your spots! I think that's pretty awesome. :)

      Delete
  3. I have problems with my saddle with bags and biceps, since I've lost weight but I Still prefer to cover my arms ups with cardigan or long sleeves. You look fab, and I love your cardigan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it wasn't so hot where I live now, I would wear long sleeves all the time. There are so many cute sweaters out there! :)

      Delete
  4. You look adorable, I love the dress on your and I think the style is very flattering!!! Perhaps to get over the self consciousness of wearing certain things, wear layers and then take the jacket/shrug/etc. off in public for a few moments to see how it feels and then work up to full exposure. LOL, that just sounds funny ;)

    I used to be really self conscious of my horrible spider and varicose veins as people would point them out (being so pale they REALLY stand out), now I just say 'fuck it'. People have no right to say unsolicited comments about anyone's body or appearance. GIANT. MIDDLE. FINGER. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! :) I've actually taken my shrug, etc. off when out to dinner or grocery shopping because it was so warm but I felt naked and put it back as soon as I was able to. I am working up to it more often, though. I mean, I showed my arms for the world to see in this post! LOL

      It's funny you bring up unsolicited comments because I have a post scheduled for next week about that very thing. :P

      Delete
    2. Unsolicited comments are the absolute worst GRRR don't get me started. People are so rude. I used to get angry and feel jealous, but now I just feel pity for them. No matter how great they might look or how much money they may have, they much be pretty damn miserable if they engaging in that kind of behavior.
      Anyway, I really like your tattoos :D

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Ivy! I personally don't get that many but when I do, it's a doozy! LOL

      Delete
  5. I think the dress looks nice.

    I'm self-conscious about my teeth. Got this one tooth that sticks out too much and I avoid having pictures of me taken because of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Aji!

      I have a couple of friends who are self-conscious about their teeth as well so won't smile in pics which is sad because they have great smiles!

      Delete
  6. I love the dress. What a fun print!

    I'm self-conscious about my nose. It's crooked and bumpy, which I dislike. But what I really hate is that it runs at the slightest provocation. Even though I use lotion tissues, my nose frequently looks chapped and red. People say things like "You must have allergies." (Nope. I wish it were allergies, because there are medications for that.) or "Do you have a cold?" (Nope. Not sick.). Unfortunately, there is no good way to hide a red nose, so I have to just endure the embarrassment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really like the print as well. That sucks about your runny nose... that sounds miserable. :(

      Delete