Friday, October 6, 2017

Shared: Sarrahs That Say "Knee!"

I have finally seen the orthopedist and it didn't go quite as I had thought it would.  He confirmed the torn meniscus and the torn ACL but said there's not much he can do about either.  The arthritis is so bad in my knee that it is tearing the mensicus away which, in his words, is not bad because it will eventually wear a groove.  If he fixed it, then it would just tear more.

The outfit I wore for my ortho appointment
Top: Torrid
Skirt: Jessica London
Necklace: Cameo I put together
Fancy lady purse: Unique Vintage
He also said that I will almost certainly need knee replacement surgery in about 10-20 years.

I asked what I can do in the mean time for the pain which has been leaving me in tears way more than I'd like.  He said to take Tylenol Arthritis and Aleve (which I've been doing since this started in July with no relief).  He also gave me a steroid shot in my knee which, unbeknownst to me, made my knee hurt WAAAAAAY worse.  I bawled the entire way home from the pain.  A couple days, later, fortunately, there was marked improvement to the pain and mobility and it's been slowly feeling better.  He also gave me an anti-inflammatory medication which seems to be helping as well.

Random outfit from a few days later
Dress: Torrid
Leggings: New Look
Shoes: Hot Chocolate Design

He gave me sheets with knee exercises that I can start doing now that my knee feels a little better but it was a very frustrating experience.  I'm not sure how long the steroid shot is supposed to last but if/when I start to have issues again, I am going to ask to see a different doctor, I think.

I'm just glad that it's at least improved even if it hasn't improved 100%.

And just because I feel weird only having two pics (I prefer odd numbers), here is a picture of my rings. :)


10 comments:

  1. Sorry about your knee! Is it all from the arthritis? Is there a way to strengthen the joints for as long as possible, maybe specific foods or supplements?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The torn meniscus is from the arthritis but he didn't really address the ACL. I have exercises to help strengthen the muscles around the joint as well. I'm noticing improvement every day, at least, so that's a positive. :)

      Delete
  2. Knee replacement. Its not really much of an option. It sucks they can't do much. Sometimes with surgery it can cause more damage then do good.It like a rock and a hard place. Sometimes another opinion can't hurt. Its not great news. Lovely rings.there so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'd like avoid surgery if possible. At least I know now so can take measures to make improvements. :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! I am definitely on the mend. :)

      Delete
  4. See about getting bionic knees that shoot lasers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking either that or one with a built-in ice dispenser.

      Delete
  5. You have a great ring collection! You look great! It’s a shame you have to just put up with the pain! :’(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Fortunately, my knee is improving. :) Yay! :D

      Delete