Monday, October 9, 2017

Thought: Body Image and Rudeness

Have you ever had one of those days where you wake up feeling good?  And your outfit works out as well as your hair, make up, etc. so you leave the house feeling like you can conquer the world?  Then one person says something stupid and it all comes crashing down?

Another foray into prints!
Batty bat leggings: Hot Topic
Dress: SWAK Designs
Shoes: Hot Chocolate Designs
Bag: Amazon

That happened to me at work last week.  I was at a networking event and on my way out, some girl I've never seen before came up to me and said, "Hi!  Excuse me but have you ever considered gastric bypass surgery?"

Now, this is actually not the first time this has happened to me AT WORK so I actually had a response prepared.

"Have you ever considered having plastic surgery?"

Her response was an offended "Um, no!"

So I said "Oh, I'm sorry.  I thought we were playing a game of Rude Questions Asked to Strangers."

And I walked away.

I know some people think they are being helpful by asking such a rude question but that's just not something you should say to someone you don't know.  And it's happened to me a total of 3 times at work by strangers as well as twice by people I did know at work.  Not well enough for such a personal question, mind you.  It's also happened to me once outside of work by a stranger and once by my ex-sister-in-law just out of the blue when we were talking about something not-weight-related.  My response to her was "First, fuck you.  Second, fuck you.  And three, fuck you in the ear with your rudeness."  I can't shouldn't say that to people at work, of course.

The rudeness aside, that question makes me feel bad about myself because, in my head, I'm so large that strangers feel the need to fix me.  So I work to put a different perspective on it and concentrate more on the audacity of others and less on myself.

Since leaving high school, the only time I've ever felt bad about my weight is when I let other people make me think I should feel bad about it.  And the silliest part of that is there is only one 3-letter word that will ever bring me to tears when it comes to my body image:  moo.  Yep, moo at me like I'm a cow and it will make me cry.  Call me fat or anything else, I deal with it.  I *am* fat.  But the issues that I have with my body at my current size are the same issues I had with my body when I was younger: my large upper arms, my large thighs, my misshapen legs and feet.

But I am not unhappy in my skin.  My body and my shape do not define who I am as a person nor do they dictate what sort of person I am.



At one point in my life, I did look into gastric bypass surgery just see what it was all about.  I found out pretty quickly that even if I was interested, I would not be a candidate because of my eating disorder.  My binge eating is something that I am extremely embarrassed about and something I rarely tell people about.  I have it more or less under control most of the time and there are days where I tell Andy "I've had a bad day and I want to binge.  So I am going to.  This is what I am going to eat.  Then I will be done."  I allow it to happen but I try to take control of it.  That has helped a lot and kept me from being twice the size I am.

A few years ago, there used to be an adult-only camping event that was clothing optional and sexually free. While I am considered the modest prude in my group of friends, I used to go every year and would force myself to do things outside my comfort zone. The first year, I went topless. In front of people. It was terrifying yet freeing at the same time. The next year, I took part in a group shower. The next year, the naked slip and slide (so much fun!).  It was nothing to be walking from one area to the next and hearing/seeing all sorts of devious acts but that's not why I went. I wanted to be more comfortable with me and this was a safe space to push my own limits.

How's this for a brave picture to post on the internet?  LOL
This was also at my absolute heaviest I've ever been.
At the adult-only camping event, I was wrapped to a tree with cellophane then
accosted with water guns and super soakers until I was able to get free. :)

One of the things that helped is most of the women who went were plus sized and very few of the men were slim as well.  If anyone said anything derogatory about someone else's appearance, they were put in their place by anyone else who heard them. You don't like the way the sun shines off someone's glaring white ass? Then look at something else.

I found myself being approached by other women at the event, especially women closer to my size, and complimented for my confidence which completely surprised me.  I don't consider myself a confident person at all.  I just force my limits so I can experience as much of life as possible.

That's actually one of the reasons I post outfits each week. I know my fashion sense is nothing remarkable but my outfits make me feel cute and I force myself outside that comfort zone for strangers to see.

I think I'm at a rave in my head here.
That happens more often than you'd think. :)

Since I've started dressing the way I want to, I'm finding that I get way more compliments from strangers than I would have ever dreamed. And every time it happens, I blissfully blush and say "Thank you! " Compliments used to be very hard to take but someone I once dated made me realize that I was insulting the compliment giver whenever I'd point out why I felt their words were not right.

"You look really nice today, Sarrah!"
"No... this dress it way to tight across my hips."
"Oh. So you think I'm a liar?"

Point taken.

And since strangers have little to gain by giving kind words, I feel validated for having my outside match my inside. Well, that's not literally true, obviously, because I don't wear meat, blood and bones in public. Usually.  Lol

So, to sum up, the "gastric bypass girl" can go suck it because I am awesome. :)


14 comments:

  1. You are a beautiful soul. I love your ability to just talk about things that need talking about. I think that those people who try to mess with us (Hey, I'm fat, too. Which I know, and try to use against those who want to use it against me with humor.) need to be told to just fuck off. I wish we could do that at work.

    I have been called names and picked on most of my adult life, starting in my teens. I also binge eat. I binge and I have no control over it. I try really hard by not having things in the house that I can binge on, but I end up finding weird shit to binge on that's probably not healthy for me. It's either that or my depression hits me so hard.

    I like that you go to the adult retreat thing. It sounds like a lot of fun. I have done some things like that, private events of course, where I could go topless or in my underwear (there's a long story as to why I can't go bottomless which I will not go into). It's nice to see others pushing limits/boundaries/comfort zones as well.

    You keep doing you girl. Fuck those haters. We're amazing chicks. Just got a little more fluff and that only makes us sweeter. ;)

    Lots of love,
    -Vyvyan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vyvyan! You have me craving cotton candy with your talk of fluff and sweetness. LOL I try to keep trigger foods out of the house and purposely try to take routes that don't go pass fast food joints to prevent my vehicle from turning in all by itself. So I understand! And I rarely went bottomless at the event except the naked slip & slide and shower. Not only were my bottoms kind of a safety blanket, I was also worried about bugs getting into bad places. LOL

      Delete
  2. I wish people would take a minute to think before saying something rude and unnecessary; they don't understand the impact of their carelessness.
    It's happened to me too, especially when I was younger. I'm blind in my left eye and had to have surgery to correct the muscle. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford it until I was 27 so my teenage years and early adult life, all I ever heard were unsolicited comments about my lazy eye. It definitely impacted my work success and social skills. It's been over 10 years since I've had the surgery and sometimes it is hard to look people in the eye because the majority of my life was spend try to hide. I couldn't afford the eyelid lift that was needed, so now when I am tired or stressed, people can see the difference. When I was younger a single comment could send me into a downward spiral, but when I get the random comment or strange look these days, they just get an equally rude response in return. I think we are all tired of bullies at this point!!
    I see your inner strength and happy spirit shining through in this post <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ivy! :) It's just weird to me how people think it's okay to comment on differences unsolicited. I'm sorry you had to go through that when you were younger. :(

      Delete
  3. Wow, that was really rude. Glad you clapped back at her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, that comment was so uncalled for! I wonder at the reasoning that goes on inside their head before asking something like that! What do they expect? "Am I overweight? Why thank you for pointing it out, I wouldn't have known if it weren't for you! It's not like I struggle with that problem for years, weighing my options and doing the best I can to deal with it! I'd rather not have pointless surgery for no other reason than to look more socially acceptable. Forget medical conditions, I'm sure you know what's best for me". Jesus. Replace "overweight" with "crooked teeth" and you have the story of my life, surgery option included. It used to bother me a lot as a teen but I don't care any more, it's why I didn't mention it in your previous post.
    By the way, you lost A LOT of weight since the nude photo! I'm not officially fat yet but I have problems too and I know how hard it is to lose all the stress eating kilos. You should give yourself more credit for being so strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There used to be a woman who was an admin assistant where I work that simply had no tact. She came to my cubicle one day a long time ago and said "Have you thought about having gastric bypass surgery?" Just out of the blue. No greeting, no lead up, nothing. I so caught off guard that the only response I could think of was "Why?" She said "Because you are so heavy." My response to that was pretty much what you said above. LOL

      I was so happy when she retired. :)

      Delete
  5. Awesome outfit! I love the bat leggings. :D

    I admire your bravery going to a clothing-optional event. Good for you! I can't imagine ever summoning up that much courage. I can barely say "Hello" to fully clothed strangers. Though I have an unusual scar that might be a useful conversation starter at a nude event. ;)

    As for that surgery comment... WOW. That was incredibly rude. It really sucks that you've heard it before, but kudos for having an awesome response!

    My nose is preposterously sensitive, so I have a red, chapped nose half the time. People constantly ask me if I have allergies or if I'm sick. Though I am typically polite to the extreme, I no longer try to be nice to strangers who are essentially just pointing out that my nose is chapped/red/ugly. A comment such as "You look like you have terrible allergies/a bad cold." gets a response of "Nope. This is just how my face looks." And the ever-popular "Are you sick?" gets a response of "I'm sick of people asking if I'm sick."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you would like the batty bat leggings. :) The clothing-optional event was WAY safer than being in public, even clothed. LOL If someone starts to talking to me in public, I am fine but I can barely get the nerve to ask for help in a store unless someone asks if I need help first.

      I can see how frustrating that has to be for you with your nose. :(

      Delete
  6. What the actual fuck is wrong with people? I love the way you handled it. Good for you, girl! I really like your outfits and I think you are beautiful inside and out. Dont listen to rude people and remember, the only control people have over you is the control you give them!*hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Syl! I had to practice my response over and over again until it stuck because I am so non-confrontational. I was actually kind of excited in a weird way when I got to use it. LOL

      Delete
  7. I reject the idea that you can’t be big and beautiful! You have good replies though! It sucks how people’s words can affect you even though you know they are ignorant! People need to learn to keep their mouths shut. Keep showing your flair and learning to love yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? If people would just stop to think for a moment before they spoke, people would seem a lot nicer. :)

      Delete