Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Shared: A New Way to Walk (Walk, Walk)


Now that my knee is (mostly) feeling better, I'm working on increasing my activity.  I was told to go slow and work up.  Because I lead a very sedentary life, I figured the best and easiest ways for me to just walk around more at work.

So I got a pedometer!


This one is amazing because you can out it anywhere on your body and it accurately counts your steps.  Since I don't have pockets and am too "curvy" to comfortably wear one clipped to my waist band, I actually just stick this in my bra. :)

I originally got the clippy strap to keep it from falling out but that has ended up not being an issue at all.


The clip was actually really annoying so now I just put the pedometer down the front of my bra. :)

I tracked how many steps I took on an average day for a week.  Then I figured out the average per day and strive to take a minimum of 200 steps a day more than the average.  No, it's not a lot but I really feel it in my knees when I take more than that right now.  I have a goal of 5,000 total additional steps above my base point and then I'm going to get myself a treat.  I just haven't decided for sure what that's going to be yet.  I'm really eyeing these leggings, though.

I have discovered that if I dance a lot, it can increase my steps so I have to be careful of that.  Yeah, the movement is good overall but the point is to increase the endurance of my knees. :)

I've thought about joining the gym here at work (just $6 per paycheck!) but being sweaty in front of other people is absolutely mortifying to me.  And I sweat easily.  I don't glisten like some women, either.  Nope.  I turn bright red and wet. :P  And when I get hot, I get super nauseous.

So walking is the first step.  Walk, walk!

Random necklace pic:

Pendant: Fire Mountain Gems

12 comments:

  1. This looks interesting. I have no idea how much I walk or what the average should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually took more steps a day than I thought. The average for most people is 2,000-5,000 so I was happy I was at least average. :)

      Delete
  2. Its great to hear your knee is much better. I know in the uk we recommend 10000 step per a day. I know day I exceeded this at work if I'm at home I probly barly do 1000. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say 10k steps here, too, but from my reading, that's not realistic for most people, especially those of us with office jobs. :)

      Delete
  3. The closest I've ever come to tracking my steps was playing Pokemon Go lol. It's easy when you don't have a car :p good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely an advantage of an urban setting :)

      Delete
  4. Walking is an excelent way to start. You'll find lots of tips out there to increase your steps. One I used a lot was to print to the printer furthest away from my desk. Also setting small dayly goals, like you can't have a cup of coffe until you reach X steps, and then you can't have another until Y steps. Wishing you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's exactly the sort of things I am doing. :)

      Delete
  5. Hi again! I got the Liebster award and now I'm passing it to you!
    It's a Q/A type of thing where we learn more about each other. If you'd like to participate, follow my link to see the rules and questions I have prepared for you.
    https://lowmaintenancegoth.blogspot.md/2017/12/the-liebster-award-2017.html
    Hope you enjoy it! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guess what? I nominated you for the Liebster Award.
    http://www.cafelastrange.com/2017/12/the-liebster-award-2017.html

    ReplyDelete